
Lonesome Dove
By Larry McMurtry
Pulizer Prize 1986
This was one of the most fantastic books I have ever ever ever read. Absolutely phenomenal. I was almost melancholy when it ended. I was a little confused by the ending, thinking there was so much more I wanted to find out. But of course that was the cleverness of the story.
The character development was flawless and you couldn't help falling in love with old Gus McCrea.
There were a few parts that were hard to read involving some Indians and their barbaric ways. I believe when I reached the last fourth of the novel my heart really became in twined in the story as the author described the character Claira, who longed to be a mother again and wanted nothing more than to love a son.
I don't want to give any more away but this is absolutely going to make it into my top ten best books of all time.
Its a long novel and might take some getting into but if you keep at it you will be so glad you did.
By the way, this novel in no way compares to the video if you have seen it. The video does it no justice really.
By Larry McMurtry
Pulizer Prize 1986
This was one of the most fantastic books I have ever ever ever read. Absolutely phenomenal. I was almost melancholy when it ended. I was a little confused by the ending, thinking there was so much more I wanted to find out. But of course that was the cleverness of the story.
The character development was flawless and you couldn't help falling in love with old Gus McCrea.
There were a few parts that were hard to read involving some Indians and their barbaric ways. I believe when I reached the last fourth of the novel my heart really became in twined in the story as the author described the character Claira, who longed to be a mother again and wanted nothing more than to love a son.
I don't want to give any more away but this is absolutely going to make it into my top ten best books of all time.
Its a long novel and might take some getting into but if you keep at it you will be so glad you did.
By the way, this novel in no way compares to the video if you have seen it. The video does it no justice really.






2 comments:
Laurie,
You are soooo good about reading books. I want an honest confession from you.... I NEVER read books because if I do, NOTHING gets done around my house for days on end. How do you do it & are still such a great mommy & wife? What's your secret, do you limit your reading to nap time & later in the evenings???
This is in my top 10, and I think the fact it's a western novel scares people away, but it's so fantastic, and I really think everybody, men and women alike, would love this book. By the way, I don't know if we're talking about the same version of the movie, but I own a 6 hour mini-series of it and Tommy Lee Jones plays (can't remember his name, he's the other male lead with Gus) and Robert Duvall plays Gus...Angelica Houston is in it, and so is the lady that was in Under the Tuscan Sun...anyway, it's fantastic, I really liked that movie. The year it was made it swept the Grammy's. You can borrow it if you want.
Post a Comment