
Well I never really wrote a post about the issue that we finally resolved (the one that I was having a "crisis" about a few weeks ago.)
I have already told some of you about it, but for a couple weeks beginning the day of his one year old shots, Conner started waking up in the night screaming and would NOT take his naps.
This is very very unusual for Conner as he rarely cries (he is a champion whiner, but not a crier) and has slept great for a long time now.
He usually takes a morning nap for a couple hours and an afternoon nap for a couple hours and then sleeps all night long.
Well the very night he got his one year old shots he woke up that night screaming bloody murder and continued to wake up screaming four times that night.
Then proceeded for the next to weeks to do that every night AND scream every time we got him near his bed to put him down for a nap or bed.
I was a total wreck and felt like something was really wrong. Since it started right after his shots we were figuring that it was a bad reaction to the shots and swore we would NEVER let him get shots ever again. I called everyone I knew for advice and talked to the doctor and two nurses and no one could give me any help, basically everyone was just saying oh he must just not need as much sleep right now.
If you know me I am a total freaker outer and these words offered NO comfort.
Anyway to make a long story short, finally after two weeks of this I ran to the library to look for some books about babies Conner's age and I brought a few home. Interestingly enough, I opened the book called, "What to expect in the Toddler Years" which is written by the guy who writes all those "What to Expect when you are Expecting" and I turned right to a page about sleeping problems.
And low and behold guess what it said, "Insomnia caused by the switch from formula to cow's milk."
My jaw dropped because as some of you know Conner has always had a dairy problem, I couldn't eat ANY dairy products while I was nursing him. And then he had to be on soy formula and then on a gentle formula.
But I had started giving him some baby yogurt and I figured he was over that sensitivity so when he turned one I started him on Whole Cow's Milk. Well........I ran outside and showed this to Corey and we both felt like THIS IS THE PROBLEM.
So I immediately put him back on formula and Voalla, he is back to himself and sleeping great.
He must have been having tummy cramps when he was sleeping and therefore started getting scared to go to bed because of it.
I think the shots did affect him the first night, because he may have had a nightmare or something, but its just ironic because at the same time he got his 1 year old shots I also put him on cow's milk.
Why I didn't think of this before is beyond me but I am just grateful to have figured it out.
Obviously he can't stay on formula forever, we will have to figure something out, but for right now I am not changing a thing!






7 comments:
you could try soy milk or goats milk too. i have a nephew who can handle cows milk either.
We stopped Preston from formula cold turkey and started giving him milk-which he tolerates fine, but what's funny is he refuses to drink it much-he ALWAYS asks for juice-and since he is sensitive to acid fruit (oranges, etc) he is always drinking apple juice. Now he will only go to bed with a bottle of apple juice! Funny--so, you dont really need the milk/formula to go to sleep. ;-) so glad you figured it out!!! I wish you had told me that part---you never told me you switched to milk....
I was going to say try the soy milk also. Talk to his doctor and see what he says about that. There is a little boy here who is allergic to milk,eggs,nuts,corn etc. So he has to drink soy. More expensive but less expensive than formula.
Stella always hated milk. She will not drink it and when I have tried to get her to, she gags and almost throws up. She really hates milk. The doctor said it isn't that big of a deal, and to just give her string cheese or a scoop of vanilla ice cream or something instead. We got some children's calcium vitamin supplements at Costco that we give her every day. I can't drink milk at all or Wes gets an upset tummy too.
Happy Mother's Day Laurie!
What a relief. I'm so glad you figured it out and that your mini man is feeling better.
Poor little dood...and poor Mum and Pop...SO glad you figured out the problem...it just makes my heart ache for him.
Post a Comment