WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY JOURNAL

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Nursemaid's elbow?

So on Sunday we were on our way to my parents for dinner and Corey was putting the Con Man in his car seat and he felt a pop in Conner's hand as he was lifting him. (yes, lifting him the way you aren't supposed to, but con was trying to run away so it just happened.)
Well...he was acting super weird about his hand, and Corey tried to touch it and see if it was okay and Conner would have nothing with that! We drove around with him for a while hoping whatever was wrong would go away, but it didn't...he was ok when he wasn't moving it, but when we tried to touch it he freaked out. It was so sad, he just sat there using just the one hand and the other just laid there. He also kept pointing to it showing us that it was an "owie."
Corey felt like the worst human being ever and was insisting we take him to the doctor. I kept avoiding it because I didn't want to go and find out it was nothing...but I kept trying to touch it and move it and he would cry. So....we bit the bullet and took him to the Insta Care. I was playing with him in the waiting room and he just sat there, which is really unheard of for him. He is usually running everywhere. Anyway, so we were in the exam room and the glorious, wonderful, savior of a doctor walked in and immediately said, "Oh! I know what's wrong here!"
We were stunned! She said its super common for kids his age, the joint in the elbow isn't developed all the way yet so it slips out if you grab them by the hand and lift. She said it is called Nursemaid's elbow. She asked me to hold him and said she was going to put it back in place. I said, "What? Now? Um, I ..." and she touched his arm and Conner winced and she said "Its done!"
Corey and I were shocked. I think she saw my face and knew she better hurry and do it or I wouldn't let her! It was so quick and appeared to be almost painless. She said it was fine and he could use it. I was like, "What? He can't even move it, how can he all the sudden use it again right away?" She said to let him reach for something, but he was skeptical too! So of course, in any kind of emergency soda will get mr. conner kunz to do ANYTHING. So I hurried and took out the sprite that I had stopped and grabbed on our way to the doctor (thinking I would for sure need it if they did an ex-ray) and voila! He grabbed it and was good as new! What a weird experience. He was happy as a lark the rest of the day and is still doing great. I told Corey I could have kissed her for fixing him up so fast and Corey agreed but didn't want me to kiss her.
So I guess its true, don't pick your kid up by the arm!

6 comments:

Torrie said...

I'm delurking on your blog to say we had this exact same thing happen to my son this last summer only my daughter was the cause of it. She pulled his arm from across the car and it was the same thing, he would scream bloody murder if you moved his arm so into the doctor and viola fixed in two seconds....I wish all owies could be fixed this fast, of course without the 150 dollar doctor bill.

Teej and Jenn said...

How Sad. I pull my kids up by their hands all the time. Good to know not to do it anymore. I am so glad he is okay. We need to hang out again SOON.

Stacy said...

Yikes, this has never happened to me, and considering I have five and lift them like this all the time. I guess I have been lucky!

Aimee said...

I was so sad reading this story. My elbow hurt for Conner. I hope we never have to experience Nursemaid's elbow with Tuscanee. Is Conner feeling okay now?

sprmom said...

Tell corey not to feel too bad. Jake did it to Alex just by wiping his hands clean with a wet rag. My sisters little boy also has nurses elbow and is in the dr. office at least every 2 months. so good luck with that. LOL

Josh n Betsie said...

That sure made Josh feel better since that is what happened to josiah. Except they couldn't pop his back in and I almost had to take him to the orthopedic. But it popped back in right before. Makes you feel like the worst parent ever.