WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY JOURNAL

Monday, February 23, 2009

Help me not hide under a blanket

Do you ever feel like you just want to hide under a blanket and not come out until whatever is bothering you is over?
Conner is driving me absolutely NUTS. The sweet, pleasant little boy is acting so weird. Even going so far as to pull my hair and kick me when I try to change his diaper. I have been trying a few different things to show him he can't do that, and he just does it even more.
Today in the car he started throwing his chicken nuggets at the seat in front of him and I asked him three times, in a serious voice to stop throwing. Guess what, he just did it more, and faster!
I know he is coming up on two and it is sortive just how it goes at that age, but I sincerely think its more than that. All I can think is that its his teeth. All four of his fang teeth are coming in. They are so sad looking, I tried to get a picture but it didn't really work. They seriously are so swollen and red, and white and cut at the tips. Corey is positive this is the culprit for his "unlike Conner" behavior. I need to be more diligent with keeping Tylenol and Motrin in him I guess. But can teeth seriously make a child's personality change? I just pray that when these teeth finally come in he will be a happier kid. I felt SO bad today, he was being absolutely impossible this morning so I we went to the gym where he can get all his climbing and energy out, and when I went to pick him up the girl said, "You know, Conner was just not himself today, he is usually so pleasant and today he was just into everything and being really weird."
I felt awful. She wasn't complaining about him, she was probably just wondering if he was sick or something, but I still felt bad.
Anyway, if any of you, my readers, have had a similar experience with teeth maybe drop me a comment and let me know. Also, if you have any suggestions for how to discipline a 22 month old when they hit or pull hair or throw things I am all ears.
Here's to hoping its teeth and they finish coming in soon.


Sorry about the chipped nail polish, gotta get on that when i have like five seconds in my day.

6 comments:

Megan Kyle and Porter Cross said...

i don't know whats worse his poor teething or the chipped polish on your nails. lol just kidding

Josh n Betsie said...

oh man that looks like it hurts. That has to be his problem. get how to change a child by friday but mark lehman....ha ha...hope it works for you because we are still working on it.

Suzie said...

He still looks like a sweet innocent boy to me! lol. It has to be his teeth. I seriously love it when my kids turn 2, it's the before part that makes me crazy. They can't tell you what's hurting, but they want you to understand, so instead they get frustrated and do crazy things. I bet he'll be back to his sweet, wonderful self when those dang teeth are through. 4 at one time can not be fun...for either of you! Hang in there...

Humanist mom said...

Kids just go through phases. It will last a couple weeks, and then go back to normal. Kids like to test their parents to see what they can get away with. Something I found that works is instead of saying no, or getting mad, I try to change the childs focus. I will point something cool out, or grab a toy for them. Something to change the focus from whatever negative thing they are doing. Also, sometimes I get so frusterated and my kids feed off of my frusteration. So instead of getting mad at Stella for making a mess, I will go in and tickle her and make a game out of cleaning up. It can help, but what Connor is going through is so totally normal. Its a phase, he will get over it soon.

Laur said...

Thanks guys for the feedback. Love you all!

sprmom said...

Oh laurie I know exactly how you feel. Everyday was a blanket day for me up untill 2 weeks ago. Jake and I started a parenting with Love and Logic class 3 weeks ago and it has made a huge difference at our home. They would suggest you pull over and calmly give him 2 choices. " connor you may stop throwing your food and eat them, or mommy will eat them for you." If he doesn't stop throwing them pull over again and say " how sad for you, I will eat them for you now." and litterally eat them in front of him. It's all about giving kids choices and making them in control of their own lives. He will learn very quickly that you mean what you say. We need to talk more, it has been a lifesaver for me. Every pregnant couple or teen should have to take this class.