WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY JOURNAL

Sunday, November 22, 2009

opinuendo #1 (Christmas)


First of all, this will surely cause at least a 50/50 reaction, I am totally aware of that, but I have something to say...

WHY IS THERE CHRISTMAS MUSIC PLAYING EVEN BEFORE THANKSGIVING?

Now please understand, this is not me hating Christmas or Christmas music.
This is me saying why would you not reserve something so wonderful and specific to Christmas, for Christmas time?
By the week of December 25th the music will have all been played over and over and over and it won't be as fun or special for that magical time.
I am not necessarily saying that it shouldn't start playing the day after Thanksgiving. I half way understand that because that is when the Christmas shopping begins. But even that seems too early to me. I would say the first of December would be appropriate.
Now, many of you are probably saying to yourself,
"Ya but just because it plays for two months before Christmas doesn't mean I won't still love it by the time Christmas actually gets here."
That's totally fine, and frankly if it makes you happy and makes you feel good inside, you should buy cds and listen to it all year long (the more happy people on the roads listening to Jingle bells the better! You know...less road rage and flipping the bird etc.)
But at least for me, if the music is over-played, it becomes much less special, which we all know is the opposite of what it should be.
There is something so special about Christmas music and I think it really makes Christmas Christmas.
There are actually a few Christmas songs which I would consider to be some of my favorite songs ever written. There are some that bring tears to my eyes, one or two in particular that I sing to myself when I need to feel peace.
So why not wait until December so no one gets tired of the music and it does what it is intended to do, bring us the Christmas spirit. Not to be interrupted by the Thanksgiving spirit (and the "before Thanksgiving" spirit.")

I believe there is a nice little song about "Make Christmas last all year long" or something, and I totally get the implication. It's true, we should all be giving and joyful all year long. But come on, Christmas is Christmas, and don't EVEN get me going about how little the Savior's birth is actually celebrated at Christmas. I'll have to save that one for another day!

2 comments:

Mark and Kimmi said...

I couldn't agree with you more laurie. I HATE how soon christmas decorations and christmas sale items start showing up in every store.. and don't even get me started about the music. but yeah I would be quite happy with the music only starting in December. Stupid commercialism it sucks

brie said...

i totally agree, sista.