WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY JOURNAL

Friday, August 14, 2009

The special cup and "everything will be okay"

So my little one did the sweetest thing the other day, I just had to write it down.
So I wasn't necessarily "sad," but I was really tired and kinda beat and decided to take a break and lay down on my bed. After a few minutes of lying there I heard the pitter patter of little feat and Conner walks in and says "Mommy, it will be okay."

I was awe struck, I had never heard him say that before. I sat up desperate to assure him that nothing was wrong I was just tired!
He then got up on my bed and held out his hand to me in which he had his very most "special cup" that I got for him at the Zoo a while ago. (This cup is so special that when he is a good boy and deserves some sprite we put it in his special cup).
Anyways he had some sprite in it earlier that day and he brought the cup to me and pushed the straw to my mouth, and said "Wanna try some?" This was again unlike anything he had ever said or offered before.
There was about half an inch of stale sprite left in the cup but I eagerly sipped it in gratitude to my little sweet heart. He then insisted I try again and pushed the straw to my mouth and said "have more?"
I drank more (by this time it is empty.)
He proceeded to offer me his drink about three more times and I was happy to accept.
It was such an unusual and special little experience, it just made me cry and hold him as tight as I possibly could. These are truly the moments that make life worth living.
I will never forget this small experience. It may have been a ten minute experience in a 24 hour day but those ten minutes meant more to me than almost anything I can remember recently. For whatever reason he thought I was sad and his way of trying to cheer me up was by offering me something that he loved of which he would normally never share. As I said, he has NEVER said anything like this before. I don't think he has ever offered me anything of his before. It was just so unusual, so priceless.
Children truly teach us more than we teach them.


4 comments:

Megan Kyle and Porter Cross said...

That is so sweet. I even cried reading it. Oh, the mother hormones. They just keep us in joyful tears.

Brooke said...

I love those "far and few in-between" moments." They are so beautiful and so special. I've had a few with my kids. They truly really touch your heart. I'm with you on that for sure.

But, believe me Laurie when I say this, he didn't learn all this compassion on this own. He has a great example everyday all day long to look up too. His mommy.

Suzie said...

He is too sweet! I love that pic of him!

The Pizza Family said...

That is darling!! What a little sweetheart!! Let's get together soon!