(This is too a very rough-drafted post, I will fix it later.)
Conner was sick this weekend. Sicker than I have personally seen anyone, ever. It was unbearable to watch. He was at the urgent care Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night. His Oxygen was only 86 which unbeknownst to me is really bad.
I cannot express adequately how poor his breathing and coughing were, he quite literally was coughing constantly. I have been sick for two months and he was following my symptoms exactly, and I had been on two antibiotics and finally figured it was a virus since they weren't helping. Therefore I assumed he was also suffering from the same "virus" and therefore going to the doctor and waiting in a room full of sick people for an hour to hear "humidifier, hot showers, motrin," seemed like a dumb idea.
Finally Friday night Corey and I broke down and took him in. The doctor he saw on Friday night said just one look at him he had asthma. His oxygen was bad, coughing was horrible and this doctor really thought he had probably caught something a while back and was now suffering from asthma. So of course they did the oxygen treatment which Conner could hardly stand, it was throwing him into a panic attack and we had to hold him down to get him to keep it in his face. Afterwards the doctor checked him again and admitted the treatment didn't really seem to have made him improve so they went to step two, the steroid. So they gave him the one dose of steroid and sent us home with a second one for 24 hours later, along with an inhaler. That night was horrible. He only slept a few hours and was laying all over the house coughing and fevering. The next day we were all miserable from no sleep and Conner was NOT improving at all. Finally Corey told me I needed to call the doctor again, so I did and told them he was doing poorly and they decided he should take the second steroid right then. So we did that, and guess what, it did nothing to improve his condition but added "roid-rage," to the mix.
He was already suffering so badly and was now very angry because he couldn't breath, he couldn't stop coughing, and every time we tried to give him his medicine or the inhaler he went ballistic. He kept saying, "Help me, I can't breath, I can't breath." He got so upset after a coughing fit he knocked down the vacuum. I got some reassurance from my parents who had to deal with steroids for asthma for my dad, my brother, and me from time to time and my parents told me that is completely normal and that those steroids are the devil.
So guess what, still no improvement. So we called again around 8 that night and they wanted him to come in. A new doctor saw him this time and bless his heart figured out what was going on. He gave him a different type of breathing treatment and then a strong antibiotic. Conner apparently had Mycoplasma which is also called "Walking Pneumonia." (This is of course most likely what I have been suffering from for the past two months as well.)
That night was horrible as well, he woke up after a couple hours of sleep and came to us bawling and coughing and I had to get in the bath with him at 1:00 in the morning to see if we could help him breath. He was due for motrin as well and wouldn't take it so we had to hold him down to give it to him. I will never forget the way he looked at me after we gave him that dose of medicine. He looked at me like I had betrayed him. He swatted at my leg out of total and complete exasperation that I had made him take that medicine and said thru his tears, "Don't EVER do that again!"
It. was. so. sad.
Usually Corey is the strong one but this was really waring him down having Conner coughing non stop and being so incredibly sick.
He got into bed with us so we could keep watch on his breathing and he finally slept for a longer period of time. Sunday was a better day after two doses of the antibiotic. That night he finally ate at my mom's after not having eaten anything for three days. The doctor needed him to come in again to have his oxygen checked and it had gone up a few points and they were very encouraged that we were on the right track. Sunday night he slept well and ever since then he has only improved more and more. Today he is almost perfect, he has a few coughing moments during the day but you would never know that a few days ago the doctors were talking about admitting him to Primaries.
We have hardly left the house all week, I am so afraid that with him just recovering he is going to catch something else, and I can't handle that. It has been very hard to be at home so isolated all day ever day. I feel like both his and my brain are turning to mush from so much tv watching. I am so exhausted that I can't get the energy to do anything other than shows with him.
June Pictures
9 years ago






2 comments:
Oh my gosh! That's so scary! I'm glad he's doing better. That's the worse part of being a parent is when your kids are sick & have to do things that are hard to get better! I hope you're getting caught up on your sleep too!
Uhm, I love you. THANK you for reinviting me. I know I have been the worst friend IRL and an even worse 'internet friend'. We must get together and talk soon. I need your sage advice and counsel on some deep stuff going on. Also? I would love to meet this new girl in your life. Love you Laur. xoxo
Post a Comment