Oh so much has happened. Here is an update. Corey is working hard at his new job at AdvancedMD. He sells medical software to doctors and it has been a real change for us. Corey came from knowing everything there is to know about auto-glass, mortgages, and real estate, to knowing nothing about medical or software sales. He is now doing BOTH. It has been extremely challenging for him to learn this new stuff but if anyone can do it it is him...
The Summer was fun, Conner took not just one, but two swimming lesson sessions (two weeks each.) He was so great in the first one that my mom insisted on paying for him to do a second one. It was really worth every cent. He is so good at swimming its shocking. By the end he had all the swimming teachers wrapped around his little finger too. Big surprise right? Not.
Conner also took a little club t-ball session. It was really fun BUT, he kept wanting to tackle people. Funny for everyone else to watch and not so funny for me. I have nightmares of parents wanting to fight me because my son hurt their kid.
It appears football might be his game. Corey played football as well as did his dad. Not to mention that football is really the only sport he ever sees because that is what Corey watches and he also goes to all of the U of U games. Oh and did I mention that he pulled down his pants twice right in the middle of the outfield to take a pee? Ya, he did that.
Again, funny to all the other parents, not so much for me. If I have to paint a positive spin on this, it is that Conner is CONFIDANT. Never embarrassed. Good thing and bad thing. :)
Now before you say, wow Conner is SPOILED. Swimming lessons, t-ball etc. Remember that Conner is three little boys in one body. The ENERGY this kid has shocks me, amazes me, exhausts me, and frustrates me!
I knew that I had to start him in some activities that would let him expend some of his energy.
It is now Fall, and we are notably sad about that. No more pool days or swimming lessons. I don't mean to be a downer, but man, the end of Summer signifies almost some kind of death to me. But, there are indeed positives about Fall. The sky is so beautiful and blue in the afternoon, perfect for taking a walk. Conner started pre-school at Rainbow Connection. Oh hallelujah, happy day, and every other happy word. He has truly reached a point where he needs more than I can give him. More socializing with kids as well as more direction from someone other than me. He has also started soccer class. (Again, a physical outlet is an absolute necessity right now.)
Conner's current interests (or should I say obsessions) are SUPER HEROS. He has batman and robin, superman, spiderman, hulk, and quite literally every other super hero you can think of. I am not kidding you when Conner was a baby and I would walk around the toy stores I would look at the action figures isle in a sense of disgust, "WHY?" "Why do people buy these things? You can't do anything with them. They're just little figures."
Well my life now revolves around them. Every time he deserves a reward it's a superhero. Or if I have something I really need to get done on some days and I need him occupied, give him a new super hero and he is good for five hours.
Last week he earned a big reward for getting all of his reward stars on his chart for two weeks. You know what he chose? A Batman Cave/house thing where all his super heros can live and play.
I will take a picture and post soon. Oh and while I am on it do you want to know what is the other bain of my existence? Not just super heros, but ARMY MEN. You know what I am talking about, the little green army guys. Another "toy" that makes NO sense to me. Yet every single day I am asked by beautiful blue eyes to play army men. "Play army men?" I wonder if he can hear the groan inside of me every time he asks. I try to play for like five minutes but truly, honestly and truly HOW THE HECK DO YOU PLAY ARMY MEN? Like, pick one up and say, "Hey I'm gonna get you," to one of the other army men? Ya and then what? Because my son expects me to do it forEVER. I last about five minutes and then hurt his feelings as I tell him I can't play anymore.
Why can't he let me read to him, draw and color with him, paint with him, play a game with him like memory or Candy Land...BUT NOOOOOO. It has to be SUPER HEROS or Army Men.
Can anyone reading this tell me I am not alone in my total avoidance in playing anything that requires me to use my imagination or a pretend "mean guy/good guy" voice?
And secondly can anyone tell me how to freaking "PLAY" army men? Because it certainly makes no sense to me.
Here are gazillions of pictures from the past few months. You can see why it has taken me a long time to post, too many pictures and too little time!
Connerisms: Conner was being a little too noisy in church and my mom was sitting with us because I had to play the piano for the primary program and she wanted to come hear me. Well he was getting giggly and my mom said, "Honey be quiet." And he said, "ACTUALLY, WE DON'T USE THE WORD QUIET IN OUR CHURCH."
It surely won't surprise you that the whole front row in front of us burst out laughing.
Conner came into our bed in the middle of the night and rolled all over me making it so I got no sleep. The next night I said, "Now Conner you cannot come into our bed in the night, because it makes it so I can't sleep." Conner responds, "Well, I can't sleep when you come into my bed either!" Right Conner, since I come sleep in your crib/toddler bed all the time. Paaalleeease!
Conner was complaining of an "owie" and I went up and touched it as I was sympathizing with him and he immediately pulls away from me and says in a very condoning tone, "Mom, don't you know that little kids don't like their owies touched?"
T-Ball!
Drummin'






6 comments:
Great post Laurie, looks like you had a great summer. In answer to your question though "Why can't he let me read to him, draw and color with him, paint with him, play a game with him like memory or Candy Land..." It's called you need to have a daughter. in advice you can always help him learn how to draw jet airplanes and tanks and stuff.... then you'll catch his interest in drawing. I would draw and color those kinds of things for hours when I was a kid....In other words It looks like you have a 100% typical BOY....
I absolutely loved this post, and all your detail filled descriptions of Conner (I sound like an english teacher giving you an essay critique...) but I did, it felt like I was close! AND I absolutely LOVE Conner, he's the best, I sat here laughing at his Connerisms...and then as I sat I started thinking about how in the world will I be able to please Sam when he gets to that point because now with Lucy it's exactly what you wish you were doing...hehehe so I have to say that yes, you do have a SUPER BOY at home! I love you and we'll make it thru fall and winter...:-)
Funny little boy reminds me of corey as a kid! Imagine that. So cute
Laurie, I loved this post!! I too feel like part of me dies when summer ends. All I can think about is what the heck am I going to do to entertain my children. We must get together. And, I need info on Rainbow Connection preschool - I might send Lilly there next year. Do you like it?!
Our boys sound SOO similar. I am counting own the days that he turns 3 so that he can play sports and go to pre-school. The Army guy thing drives me crazy. I wish my husband weren't so good at playing cause then maybe he wouldn't expect me to be good either. I think next time I am in utah we need to get our boys together. I think they would love each other.
Laurie, you had me laughing through that whole post. I was with some women from our ward tonight & we started talking about places Sam has peed in public & they all listed a different place they had seen him that I wasn't aware of! (and I'm aware of quite a few). These boys with all this energy are hard to figure out... I obviously have NO advice for you & I'm on boy #3!
Post a Comment